Magic system concept!

Come over here to ramble about worldbuilding or whatever you are working on at the moment and get people's opinion. Rambling encouraged!

Moderator: Global Moderator

DreamyPumpkins

Magic system concept!

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

First post on the brainstorming tab I guess? I hope I'm doing a thread right and it's all formatted okay! I'm kind of new to forums so apologies haha. 😅 Was gonna post on discord but thought I could maybe do it here instead. :3c
---

I have been brainstorming a new magic system for a story I'm working on, and I wanted to know what people might think! The magic itself is known as "Astra", and it's a cosmic power gifted by the Aether to those it deems worthy as Protectors. Some are born with it however. (I have not given much detail on some of this as I want to focus on the magic system itself.)

What exactly is Astra though?

Well to start, it allows you to form a bond with a familiar, usually with a creature known as an echoe, intelligent fox like beings that dwell in the Aether. It also allows the ability to cast spells by tracing certain patterns with your hands (with the intent of casting a spell), or just one hand depending on skill. The patterns are seen as lines and dots when being drawn as well.

The types of patterns made resemble constellations, with the general shape differing depending on the element of the spell in a way that resembles that element. For instance, fire spells are seemingly erratic in their arrangement, and earth spells are arranged in a pattern that almost touches, if that makes sense. Water spells are sort of... a wave like pattern. Shadow spells sort of spiral outward like a vortex...? (There are light spells too but haven't really figured out how that'd be shaped yet.) Edit: Light spells go straight outward like a sunbeam! (Added based on suggestion.)

For one other thing with Astra, users of it each have a unique ability that differs from person to person! The protagonist of this story for instance can create astral flame at will that can be shaped into different things.

So... it's a bit simplistic and bare bones so far, and I need to figure out what the element spells actually do and the limits of unique powers... But I hope that was enough information to go on!
---

Thank you for reading, what do you think about it? Anything I should change or anything I could add to this? 🤔
Last edited by DreamyPumpkins on 15 Jun 2023, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
The stars align
Floral

Re: Magic system concept!

Post by Floral »

I do think it is a really good basis!

I do have a few questions, and these are adjacent to this.

Are those born with Astra also given echoe?

Can a person without an echoe use Astra?

Can a person without Astra have an echoe?

I think those are my major questions for now. 💚
endmember

Post by endmember »

Sounds interesting so far!!

Speak your wishes through the dark and the light. Cry your hopes from your bastille of cruel fate. Freeze the land before destiny razes you.
ClefdeSoll
Administrator

Post by ClefdeSoll »

I had a feeling a forums setting would be better for this in some cases, and it is definitely much better for me to interact with than a live conversation so I'm happy to see it used!

I really love the constellation-like visual, that's so cool?? since you have a vortex for shadows, how about light is based off sun beams? so straight lines going outwards, and that also makes it look a bit like stars. Just what came to mind reading this! :3c
DreamyPumpkins

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

Floral wrote: I do think it is a really good basis!

I do have a few questions, and these are adjacent to this.

Are those born with Astra also given echoe?

Can a person without an echoe use Astra?

Can a person without Astra have an echoe?

I think those are my major questions for now. 💚
Good questions! 🧡

For the first one, it depends! If they are born in Aether, it is common that a bond is formed with an echoe as part of learning about Astra. (Side note; the echoe are not necessarily given to the person, it is more they form a bond from friendship that sort of becomes a link between them! If that makes sense.)

An echoe is not needed to use Astra, no. Though they can use Astra too! And yes, you can form a bond with an echoe if you do not have Astra, just not a link. If that makes sense.
The stars align
DreamyPumpkins

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

ClefdeSoll wrote: I had a feeling a forums setting would be better for this in some cases, and it is definitely much better for me to interact with than a live conversation so I'm happy to see it used!

I really love the constellation-like visual, that's so cool?? since you have a vortex for shadows, how about light is based off sun beams? so straight lines going outwards, and that also makes it look a bit like stars. Just what came to mind reading this! :3c
I like how much more organized it is for different topics!

THANK YOU and ooh I like the idea of using sun beams as a pattern, it also sorta makes it an opposite to the shadow pattern in a way!
The stars align
ClefdeSoll
Administrator

Post by ClefdeSoll »

DreamyPumpkins wrote: I like how much more organized it is for different topics!

THANK YOU and ooh I like the idea of using sun beams as a pattern, it also sorta makes it an opposite to the shadow pattern in a way!
yes, exactly! you have straight lines going outwards, there is so much potential for making them different (aka foils) from each other~
DreamyPumpkins

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

ClefdeSoll wrote:
DreamyPumpkins wrote: I like how much more organized it is for different topics!

yes, exactly! you have straight lines going outwards, there is so much potential for making them different (aka foils) from each other~
That is exactly what I was thinking! Opposites make for great foils of characters and it is something I originally did with Nitor and Penumbra, among others, and it is what I am planning still do in this new story with the element patterns, so the patterns being direct opposites of each other fits well ~

(Should maybe say for clarification that this "new story" is a complete redo and makeover of KotCM, Nitor's old story. Hope you don't mind the ramble haha.)
Last edited by DreamyPumpkins on 16 Jun 2023, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
The stars align
DreamyPumpkins

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

Okay so I was thinking, what if I made the element reflect the type of spell cast? Like... earth spells are more defense oriented due to the closeness of the pattern lines. Though tbh that is how far my thought on it has gone as I am not sure if that would be too limiting. And I am unsure of what other types could be represented by the elements.
The stars align
DreamyPumpkins

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

Also I hope commenting on the thread itself is a good way to add to my idea. Mostly just not sure if I am doing this whole forum thing right so I am making sure!
The stars align
ClefdeSoll
Administrator

Post by ClefdeSoll »

DreamyPumpkins wrote: Also I hope commenting on the thread itself is a good way to add to my idea. Mostly just not sure if I am doing this whole forum thing right so I am making sure!
It's meant to be a fun chill place to be, try not to worry so much! you're doing great <3
DreamyPumpkins wrote: Okay so I was thinking, what if I made the element reflect the type of spell cast? Like... earth spells are more defense oriented due to the closeness of the pattern lines. Though tbh that is how far my thought on it has gone as I am not sure if that would be too limiting. And I am unsure of what other types could be represented by the elements.
This definitely sounds like something you should play with! Ultimately the right answer is whichever you have more fun doing~&nbsp;
DreamyPumpkins

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

I will try to not stress too much!!

And yeah!

(Also — how do I quote a specific part of a message like that if you don't mind me asking? 🤔)
The stars align
Annwan

Post by Annwan »

DreamyPumpkins wrote: (Also — how do I quote a specific part of a message like that if you don't mind me asking? 🤔)
When you click the "Quote" button, it inserts a quote block in which you can remove the part you don't want to quote
Procrastination in progress ...
DreamyPumpkins

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

Ahh okay gotcha! Thank you!
The stars align
niasssu

Post by niasssu »

Annwan wrote:
DreamyPumpkins wrote: discord im howling at the moon
> also wortth noting that you can change the quote entirely