Magic system concept!

Come over here to ramble about worldbuilding or whatever you are working on at the moment and get people's opinion. Rambling encouraged!

Moderator: Global Moderator

DreamyPumpkins

Re: Magic system concept!

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

OH ALSO something I was thinking of was this concept of magic being used by those WITHOUT Astra... through the use of special cards!

Spell patterns drawn onto cards for the purpose of casting Astra without the innate ability. They their primary purpose is more for training and learning to control it.

They would work through tracing the pattern depicted on the card surface with your finger, and requires time to recharge before being able to be used. This is a draw back, but not sure that is enough of one? They can be used to also set remote traps using the spells.

HOPE THIS IS AN INTERESTING INCLUSION!!
The stars align
ClefdeSoll
Administrator

Post by ClefdeSoll »

DreamyPumpkins wrote: OH ALSO something I was thinking of was this concept of magic being used by those WITHOUT Astra... through the use of special cards!

Spell patterns drawn onto cards for the purpose of casting Astra without the innate ability. They their primary purpose is more for training and learning to control it.

They would work through tracing the pattern depicted on the card surface with your finger, and requires time to recharge before being able to be used. This is a draw back, but not sure that is enough of one? They can be used to also set remote traps using the spells.

I love this inclusion! I have an inspiration suggestion for you, in the tales of vesperia movie they do something like this. They have a special printer for spells and when the spell is used it lifts from the paper. Might be something that gives you ideas!
DreamyPumpkins

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

ClefdeSoll wrote:
DreamyPumpkins wrote: OH ALSO something I was thinking of was this concept of magic being used by those WITHOUT Astra... through the use of special cards!

I love this inclusion! I have an inspiration suggestion for you, in the tales of vesperia movie they do something like this. They have a special printer for spells and when the spell is used it lifts from the paper. Might be something that gives you ideas!
If I had to guess that is a part of the "Tales of" series that I know Floral really likes? That is a really interesting way to visualize that ooo!! I should look into it!
The stars align
ClefdeSoll
Administrator

Post by ClefdeSoll »

DreamyPumpkins wrote: If I had to guess that is a part of the "Tales of" series that I know Floral really likes? That is a really interesting way to visualize that ooo!! I should look into it!
correct! but the movie is a prequel to the game and stand alone so you don't need extra context to watch it :3 in fact i watched it before i played the game
Floral

Post by Floral »

DreamyPumpkins wrote: If I had to guess that is a part of the "Tales of" series that I know Floral really likes?
I never actually played Vesperia! Magic in all the "Tales of" games tends to differ largely from one game to the next, and so do the mechanisms and lore, so I never really got to see the Vesperia system in action, but just hearing this does interest me~

And I also thing this is a really cool idea!
DreamyPumpkins

Post by DreamyPumpkins »

ClefdeSoll wrote:
DreamyPumpkins wrote: If I had to guess that is a part of the "Tales of" series that I know Floral really likes? That is a really interesting way to visualize that ooo!! I should look into it!
correct! but the movie is a prequel to the game and stand alone so you don't need extra context to watch it :3 in fact i watched it before i played the game
Ooo gotcha!!
Floral wrote:
DreamyPumpkins wrote: If I had to guess that is a part of the "Tales of" series that I know Floral really likes?
I never actually played Vesperia! Magic in all the "Tales of" games tends to differ largely from one game to the next, and so do the mechanisms and lore, so I never really got to see the Vesperia system in action, but just hearing this does interest me~

And I also thing this is a really cool idea!
I like the sound of the magic system too! And that is interesting the systems tend to differ between each game!

ALSO THANK YOU!!
The stars align
ClefdeSoll
Administrator

Post by ClefdeSoll »

I think the vesperia one is my favourite by far, though I find the solution to the world's problems to always be the same solution in the tales games (something something let's release spirits of each element to stabilize the world and create a sustainable energy) and in this particular game it disappointed me a bit because it ends up making it more like the others which is far less interesting than what it had going on x3